Like I mentioned before, no Superbowl Party is complete without some meat…while my friends are all extremely supportive of my pescatarianism, they still want their beef and I totally get it. This recipe, courtesy of David Kirsch, replaces traditional ground beer with Buffalo meat, a leaner alternative that apparently (because I don’t actually know) tastes just as good. If you want in on this recipe, but like me, don’t eat meat, you can easily use the ingredients to dress up a tuna burger, soy burger or a veggie burger!
GUILTLESS BARBECUE BURGER
(shown with Stuffed Bell Peppers, which can easily be made by using the meat prepared in this recipe, halving peppers and cleaning them out, stuffing them and either baking or grilling them until cooked)
Red meat need not come loaded with saturated fat. Buffalo meat tastes just as delicious as beef, but it comes much leaner. Because of its leanness, it cooks quicker as well.
· 4 ounces lean ground buffalo meat
· 4 ounces lean ground turkey breast
· 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
· 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
· 2 tablespoons low-sugar, low-sodium barbecue sauce
· 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
· Nonfat vegetable cooking spray
1. Mix all of the ingredients except the cooking spray in a large bowl.
2. Form the mixture into two patties.
3. Spray a barbecue grill or nonstick skillet with cooking spray, and heat to medium-high heat.
4. Place the patties on grill or skillet, and cook about 8 minutes per side (for medium), until cooked through.
Makes 2 servings. Per serving: 185 calories, 33 g protein, 8 g carbohydrate,
3 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, .5 g fiber, 4 g sugar