I work in two different offices and a coworker of mine brought these into the office I happened to not be in. Sight unseen (and obviously untasted) I heard rave reviews via email and decided to try them out…I’m so glad I did!
I almost didn’t make them since I didn’t have an electric mixer OR a double-boiler in my current apartment, but I decided not to let those little setbacks deter me. I mixed the ingredients by hand (it can be done, without your arms aching the next day, I swear) and I invented a makeshift double-boiler by stacking two saucepans one inside of the other, filling the bottom one with water.
Believe me, the hour you have to sit and wait for them to chill in the fridge–totally torturous!
Chocolate-Covered Peanut Butter Balls
- Chunky Peanut Butter
- Confectioner’s Sugar
- Chocolate Chips
- Vegetable Shortening
- Wax-paper lined trays or muffin tins with papers (I used tin foil lined trays, seemed to work fine)
- With a mixer, cream together:
- Add 1 and 1/2 cups of Cocoa Pebbles or Rice Krispies by hand (I used organic cocoa pebbles)
- Roll into 1-inch balls (or use small scooper). Place in paper or foil mini-muffin cups, or place on wax paper.
- Chill in fridge for 1 hour.
- Melt 1, 16-oz bag of semi-sweet chocolate morsels in double boiler with 1 Tablespoon shortening.
- If peanut butter balls are in muffin cups: Drizzle chocolate over the top of peanut butter balls with a spoon.
If peanut butter balls are on wax paper: Using a toothpick, dip each p’but ball into the chocolate and place back on wax paper to cool. (I dipped and drizzled…)
- Sprinkle the top with sprinkles. (I skipped this step.)
- Store in sealed container in fridge or freezer.
4 Tablespoons of Butter (softened)
1 cup Chunky Peanut Butter (I used organic, old-fashioned style chunky peanut butter)
1 cup Confectioner’s Sugar
Recipe courtesy of my friend Sara!